How many of the words that we use today come from Greece?
According to one estimate, more than 150,000 words of English are derived from Greek words. These include technical and scientific terms but also more common words like those above. Words that starts with ‘ph-‘ are usually of Greek origin, for example: philosophy, physical, photo, phrase, philanthropy.
What are some cool Greek words?
15 Beautiful Words That Will Make You Fall in Love With the Greek Language
- ελπίδα (el-pee-da) / hope. …
- χαρμολύπη (char-mo-lee-pee) / joyful mourning, sweet sorrow. …
- φιλοξενία (fil-o-ksen-i-a) / hospitality. …
- υγεία (ee-yee-a) / health. …
- ψυχή (psee-hee) / soul. …
- ίριδα (ee-ree-da) / iris. …
- ευτυχία (ef-tee-hee-a) / happiness.
What are some common Greek words?
Basic Greek Words and Phrases
- Hello: Γειά σου (YAH-soo)
- Nice to meet you: Χάρηκα πολύ (HA-ree-ka po-LEE)
- How are you?: Tι κανείς (tee-KAH-nis)?
- Good morning: Καλημέρα (kah-lee-MER-ah)
- Good afternoon/evening: Καλησπέρα (kah-lee-SPER-ah)
- Goodnight: Καληνύχτα (kah-lee-NEEKH-tah)
- Thank you: Ευχαριστώ (eff-kha-ri-STOE)
Why do most words come from Greek?
English (and most other Western-European languages) adopted many words from Latin and Greek throughout history, because especially Latin was the Lingua Franca all through Antiquity, the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, and later.
What is the Greek word to write?
gráfo̱ More Greek words for I write. συντάσσω verb. syntásso I write, compose, redact, compile, edit.
What are the 7 Greek love words?
7 Distinct Greek Words Describe Different Kinds of Love—Which Have You Experienced?
- Eros: romantic, passionate love. …
- Philia: intimate, authentic friendship. …
- Ludus: playful, flirtatious love. …
- Storge: unconditional, familial love. …
- Philautia: self-love. …
- Pragma: committed, companionate love. …
- Agápe: empathetic, universal love.
What does Opa mean in Greek?
Opa! Is an expression often used in Greek celebrations, weddings and dancing. It means joy, hooray or cheers.
How do you call a girl beautiful in Greek?
Greek Translation. όμορφο κορίτσι ómorfo korítsi. More Greek words for beautiful girl. όμορφη κοπέλα
What are the most popular Greek words?
The 100 Most Common Words in Greek Posted by Ourania on Oct 8, 2013 in Vocabulary
|2||το||the (neuter, singular, nominative and accusative) / it (personal pronoun, neuter, singular, accusative)|
|3||ο||the (masculine, singular)|
|4||η||the (feminine, singular)|
How do you say no in Greek?
The word for “No” in Greek is – Όχι – which is pronounced “ohi”.